Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Maurers are true Memphians

This weekend it happened. We became contributing members of the community, making us true Memphians. It all started on Friday night with the Cooper Young 4 miler, which was a four mile race (go figure) that kicked off the one day Cooper Young Festival. It was a smallish race (1000 people or so) in an eclectic neighborhood that we frequent often, as it reminds us of Seattle! People lined the streets cheering us on, which may be the reason Scott and I finished in 33 1/2 minutes...not too shabby!


Saturday morning, Jonnett got up at 6 am to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity for the Fall 2007 blitz build. Needless to say, on Scott's weekend off, he slept in. I believe his exact words were "You are crazy." Memphis Habitat will be building 12 houses beginning Sept. 14th and ending with the home dedications on Nov. 3rd. They will also be celebrating their 300th home built during this blitz build. I had a great time and met some cool people, even someone that Scott works with at St. Jude! Oh yeah, and I did do some work too (my muscles definitely say so). I helped put up the fascia board on the edges of the roof. I'll be returning this Saturday to begin siding the house.

Later that afternoon, we actually attended the Cooper Young Festival. There was lots to enjoy: great people watching, lots of crap to buy, good music, and of course, the deadly "Pronto Pup". Scott even went for the footlong...crazy!

On Sunday, we made our first visit to Mississippi (yes, we are that close), to The Great American Home Store. This is the most gigantic furniture store we'd ever seen. We knew we would be in trouble if we couldn't find anything that we liked there. But, we finally found furniture! This means that you all don't have to listen to us complain anymore, and it also means that our house is now really ready for visitors!

No comments: